Dive Into The Flourishing Art Scene in Springfield MO
The arts are an integral part of any city, but for Springfield, it is at the core of all we do. If not for our artistic scene, Springfield could not cultivate the livelihood that we are so proud to share. No matter whether you’re a devoted painter, an aspiring actor or novice to all things creative, there is a place for you in the artistic community.
Find out more about the art scene right here in Springfield.
A home for performing arts
For a city our size, you’ll be impressed by the performing arts productions available to our residents. You’ll find no shortage of ways to enjoy your favorite way to enjoy the arts:
- Dance. Twice a year, you can the talent of the Springfield Ballet pirouette and leap across the stage. Best known for their yearly production of The Nutcracker around Christmas time, you can also find them performing shows like Alice in Wonderland, Swan Lake, and Romeo and Juliet.
- Opera. Even the art of opera has a home in Springfield. The Springfield Regional Opera has provided its talents to the city over the last 35 years and continues to move audiences with operatic performances several times each year.
- Theatre. Whether you prefer a smaller stage or crave a grand production, you can find something here for you. At the Juanita K. Hammons Hall for the Performing Arts, you can experience the bright lights of Broadway with touring productions, or you can swing by Springfield Little Theatre to see local talents take the stage. For a more intimate venue, you can attend the black box theatre at Springfield Contemporary Theatre or visit one of our many area college productions.
- Music. Which kind of music are you missing? Whether your preference is the sound of strings and ivory keys or electric guitars and live vocals, Springfield has you covered. Get a taste of the classical with the Springfield Symphony, the area’s largest regional professional orchestra. When you’re ready to rock out—or ready for something a bit more mellow—, there are dozens of music venues in town, from the historic Gillioz Theatre and other downtown music venues to the O’Reilly Family Event Center, JQH Arena and more.
Fine art at every corner
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder so what kind of visual art moves you? Do you prefer indoor or outdoor pieces? Contemporary or traditional? Whichever kind of art brings you the most aesthetic enjoyment, you’ll find the perfect venue to indulge your cultured side.
- First Friday Art Walk. Experience a night on the town viewing a wide array of art styles around Downtown Springfield. On the first Friday of every month, local businesses and galleries host art displays for residents to check out. If you’re looking to add a piece of art to your home, you’re in luck — many of the pieces on the walk are for sale!
- Sculpture Walk. Have you ever experienced a museum without walls? With the Sculpture Walk, you can. Each year, local artists submit their sculptures to be displayed across Springfield, free to view whenever you choose.
- Springfield Art Museum. Since its opening in 1928, the Springfield Art Museum has dedicated itself to documenting the artistic history of Southwest Missouri while sharing art from around the world. The museum is well known for its extensive permanent collection, sculpture garden and yearly Watercolor USA competition. Drop in, see Springfield’s very own Chihuly, and wander through the galleries.
- Public art. It only takes a short trip around town to find a piece of public art. Downtown is full of unique murals and displays, like the frequently-Instagrammed monarch wings or the famed Tumbler on the square. You can also find unique pieces over by the Seminole Design Center or at Farmers Park.
Engage your artsy side
Looking to learn something new? Try out one of the many art classes offered around town and tap into your inner Picasso.
- Pottery. Learn how to create the clay piece of your dreams at one of the pottery classes offered in town. If decorating pottery is more your style, you can also purchase pre-made pottery and paint it to your styling.
- Painting. Get your brushes ready and spend some time painting at a local painting studio like Painting with a Twist, RSVPaint or The Social Easel. And don’t be intimidated by the paint — these classes are intended for people of all skill levels. Who knows, you may just find your new hobby!
- Glass. Make your own fused glass pieces at Creative Escape Glass. You will learn every step along the way, from cutting glass to balancing colors and shapes. If you prefer something more custom, they can help you to create special items like memorial jewelry or pendant lights for your home.
- Drawing. Discover your passion for drawing and sketching at one of the classes provided by the Springfield Art Museum. Classes are available for individuals of all ages, so go ahead and sign the kids up too. It’s never too early (or too late) to get started!
Are you ready to live the Springfield lifestyle?
Download our relocation guide and learn more about what life is like in the Queen City of the Ozarks.