Explore Springfield MO Attractions & Find Fun for All Ages
Springfield, Missouri is a city on the move. Whether you’re someone who prefers to spend a day indoors or desires an outdoor adventure, there are plenty of attractions that can pique your interest within a short driving distance. No matter how you want to spend your day, we have options for all ages, interests and price points.
Check out the Springfield, MO attractions we have to offer.
Things to do indoors
Weather not cooperating? Don’t worry, you don’t have to be outside to have fun in the Queen City.
- Discovery Center. Get an interactive science lesson at the Discovery Center. This interactive museum invites you to learn with hands-on exhibits like a giant eyeball, a Van de Graaff Generator and more. Once you’re done exploring the four floors of the museum, don’t forget to get a picture at the Greetings from Springfield, MO mural right outside!
- Bass Pro Shops. Bass Pro Shops is one of the most popular destinations in the entire state. This Bass Pro is the original and largest of its kind, with almost 500,000 square feet for you to explore. Get your shop on or visit the NRA Museum, Archery Hall of Fame or the Hemingway Blue Water Cafe.
- Wonders of Wildlife. Voted America’s Best Aquarium and Best New Attraction, Wonders of Wildlife is a must-do outing in Springfield. With hours worth of one-of-a-kind exhibits, you can tour the world’s worth of wildlife and aquatic animals. For a truly amazing experience, take a dip with the sharks in the Out To Sea Shark Dive.
- Pythian Castle. Looking for a scare? Pythian Castle is rumored to be haunted and has been featured on several TV shows for its ghost hunts. Take part in hunting the paranormal yourself or take a calmer path on their history tour or staged murder mystery dinners.
Things to do outdoors
If you want to soak up the sun, there is no shortage of fresh-air activities for you and your family.
- Botanical Gardens at Nathanael Greene. The beautifully maintained gardens at Nathanael Greene include hostas, daylilies, peonies, roses and dozens more varieties of flowers maintained by volunteers. During your self-guided experience, you can also explore the Native Butterfly House, the Mizumoto Japanese Stroll Garden and the Gray-Campbell Farmstead.
- Dickerson Park Zoo. Looking for a zoo adventure? Springfield’s Dickerson Park Zoo offers an extensive tropical Asia area with elephants, tigers and siamangs, while the Missouri habitats feature wolves, otters, black bears and more. Rest your feet on the seasonal train ride across the park or stop by the Zoo gift shop for a memento of your time in the wild.
- Getaway Golf. Venture across the world with the travel themed 18-hole courses at Getaway Golf. At the US course you can start off at the St. Louis Arch or up the ante across the Great Barrier Reef in the international course. Stop by on Tuesday for two dollars off all courses!
- Wild Animal Safari. Head right outside Springfield for a zoo that you can drive through. The Wild Animal Safari has over 450 animals across 65 species including lions, tigers, giraffes, camels, zebras and more. Don’t forget to buy a cup of animal feed so that you can watch the animals eat!
- Fantastic Caverns. They don’t call Missouri “The Cave State” for nothing. Get spelunking and visit America’s only ride-through cave, Fantastic Caverns. It’s a great destination no matter the time of year — the cave stays at a cool 60 degrees year-round!
Things to do outside Springfield MO
Need to get out of town for a bit? You don’t have to get far outside of city limits to find even more to do in the Springfield region.
- Eureka Springs, AR. Take the scenic route south to see the great Ozarks outdoors. Eureka Springs offers a historic downtown full of shopping opportunities and sights to see. Spend the night in a cute cottage or cabin or kick back at the haunted Crescent Hotel.
- St. Louis, MO. You don’t have to go far to find something new and exciting in St. Louis. You don’t have to spend a dime to visit the noteworthy Saint Louis Zoo, Saint Louis Art Museum or Missouri History Museum. Your day isn’t complete without a stop by the iconic Gateway to the West: our very own Gateway Arch.
- Tulsa, OK. Nearby Tulsa has a variety of activities for all adventurers. See a show at the BOK Center for head to one of the town’s casinos for a good gambling time. Don’t miss the art deco in town — Tulsa is one of the most famed cities for the unique style of architecture.
- Kansas City, MO. Explore more of MO in Kansas City. Visit the famous Shuttlecock statue at the Nelson Atkins Museum or take the kids to Legoland to build to their heart’s content. Don’t worry about downtown parking either — hop on the free Streetcar to get around the city.
- Branson, MO. There are endless opportunities to have fun in Branson. Between countless shows, Silver Dollar City and dozens of outdoor experiences, you won’t be struggling to find something to do in town. Make it an overnight trip at one of the many resorts in town and get to see even more of the city.
Wanting to learn more about everything Springfield, Missouri has to offer? Download our relocation guide and see what life in the 417 could be like.