What Should I Know Before Moving to Springfield MO?
When you’re choosing a new place to plant your life, it seems like there’s only two options: the hustle and bustle of an impersonal huge city or the simplicity of a rural area. In the Springfield Region, we see things a little differently.
Springfield, Missouri offers Midwestern charm and friendliness in a city sizeable enough to provide an urban lifestyle while retaining the comforts of the countryside living. Whether you’re a budding professional, growing family or veteran in your profession, there’s something for you in Springfield.
Enjoy the life you’ve always wanted
In other cities, you’ll likely be subjected to whichever lifestyle the city caters to. But in Springfield, you can build a lifestyle that’s all your own. You have the freedom to be choosy about your life simply because, here, you have more choices. Everything you need to build the life you’ve always wanted is possible here.
- Find your perfect home. Homeowners and renters of all style preferences can find the perfect match in Springfield’s many beautiful neighborhoods. Lovers of historic homes, lofts, suburban homes and rural areas can rejoice in the selections available in town and in the surrounding metro area. With housing costs 31% below the national average, you can find a home that suits you, your family, and lifestyle you lead. And with an average commute time of 22-minutes from anywhere in the city, you can find a home in the area of your choosing with ease and peace of mind.
- Spend less, save more. No matter where you land in the Springfield Region, you can find yourself able to save more while you indulge in all the things you love. Don’t take our word for it — year after year, Springfield is recognized for its affordable cost of living, most recently by Forbes. In fact, the Council for Community & Economic Research found that our cost of living as 13.8% lower than the national average.
- Stay healthy and well. Keeping our citizens healthy isn’t hard since health care is the number one industry in Springfield. We have four major healthcare providers that cover every major medical specialty listed by the American Medical Association meaning you don’t have to look far to find the medical services you need. Springfield-Greene County has also been designated as a World Health Organization Safe Community, an honor which notes Springfield’s dedication to safety in the area. If you’re looking to stay fit, the city’s many nearby trails and thriving wellness scene can help you stay feeling your best.
Invest in your career growth
Being the fastest growing city in Missouri means there’s never any shortage of new opportunities. From entry level employment to C-suite executives, there is always room at the table for new talent. The industries in the Springfield Region provide jobs in a wide variety of career fields:
- Health care. Major health care providers Mercy and CoxHealth are two of the top 100 integrated health systems in the country, providing unmatched care to their patients in Springfield and the surrounding area. Approximately 18% of the workforce in Springfield is employed by the health care industry.
- Corporate headquarters. With a trained workforce and nearly 50,000 college students attending area universities, Springfield is perfect for a business venture. You can find the headquarters of several large corporate headquarters here, including noteworthy names like O’Reilly Auto Parts, Bass Pro Shops and BKD.
- Manufacturing and Engineering. Following the recession, the city was able to bounce back and offer more jobs than ever to a number of talented manufacturers and engineers. Springfield is home to many key players in the field, including Springfield Remanufacturing Corporation, Loren Cook Company, Paul Mueller and more.
- Small businesses. The tax climate and support for small businesses makes it easy to launch your entrepreneurial venture and follow your passion for starting a business that’s all your own. Many of the biggest companies in Springfield started as small entrepreneurships. No wonder WalletHub ranks Springfield as one of the top twenty cities to start a business!
Experience all the city has to offer
There’s no shortage of fun in Springfield. No matter what you enjoy, there’s something going on that’s sure to pique your interest.
- World class attractions. Family in town? Looking for a way to spend a long weekend? You don’t have to leave the city to visit the stunning aquarium at Wonders of Wildlife or spend the day surrounded by the lions and tigers at the Dickerson Park Zoo. Take a short trip to Branson to find top-rated amusement park Silver Dollar City along with dozens of amazing attractions and entertainment across all genres of music and talents.
- Arts & culture galore. Springfield is a city built for creatives and the artsy at heart. Catch your favorite performer at the JQH Arena or Gillioz Theatre or see a theatrical performance at Springfield Little Theatre. Interested in the visual arts? Take a trip downtown for First Friday Art Walk for a free tour through the many galleries in downtown Springfield.
- Get outdoors. If you can think of an outdoor adventure you’re craving, you can find it in the Ozarks. Famous for our beautiful woodlands and rolling hills, hiking may as well be a state sport. Check out the Springfield Conservation Nature Center while you’re in the city then travel south to Arkansas for a trek on the Whitaker Point Trail. The outdoor opportunities don’t end there — if you enjoy fishing, find solace in the waters of Table Rock Lake, or if you look forward to hunting season each year, there are plenty of opportunities during deer and turkey season in the Springfield Region. .
- Shop til you drop. You don’t have to look far to find great shopping opportunities. If you’re looking for your favorite national brands, browse the over 150 stores at Battlefield Mall or check out the promenade of the Branson Landing. Lovers of shopping local can visit Farmers Market of the Ozarks for homemade goods or support Springfield by buying from locally-owned boutiques.
Wanting to learn more about moving to Springfield, MO? Check out our relocation guide and find out what makes our city a place unlike any other.